1. Othniel was the first Judge of Israel, he ruled for 40 years before his death (Judges 3:7-11).
2. Ehud was the second Judge of Israel. He was a left handed man from the tribe of Benjamin. (Judges 3:12-30)
3. Shamgar was the third Judge of Israel. The Bible however, never stated how long he ruled as a Judge (Judges 3:31).
4. Deborah (the Judge) was the 4th of the 15 judges who ruled over the land of Israel during ancient times, before the Israelites had kings. She was also a prophet and the wife of Lappidoth (Judg. 4:4). Read her story in Judges chapters 4 and 5.
5. Gideon son of Joash the Abiezrite from the town of Ophrah, was Israel’s fifth Judge. During his time as Judge, he conquered Midian with just 300 men; Midian never recovered from this defeat, and there was peace for 40 years during Gideon’s lifetime. Gideon’s story is found in Judges chapters 6-8.
6. Abimelech (Abimelek), the judge, was the son of Gideon by a concubine from Shechem, and became a Judge of Israel, but it was not by God’s will. Abimelech was one of 70 sons of Gideon’s many wives. With a great desire to lead Israel, and with the help of his mother’s clan in Shechem, he assassinated all his brothers, only his youngest brother, Jotham, escaped. Read Abimelek’s story from Judges 9:20-56.
7. Tola was the seventh Judge of Israel. There were no much record about him (Judges 10:1-2).
8. Jair the eigth Judge of Israel, judged Israel for twenty-two years. He had thirty sons (Judges 10:3-5).
9. Jephthah was the ninth Judge of Israel. He was born an illegitimate child, but judged over Israel for a period of six years (Judges 12:7). He is listed in the Book of Hebrews as one of the heroes of faith (Heb. 11:32). After his death, he was buried in a city of Gilead. Read Jephthah’s story in Judges chapter 11, and chap. 12:1-7.
10. Ibzan was the tenth Judge of Israel. He died and was buried in Bethlehem having judged Israel for seven years. (Judges 12:8-10).
11. Elon,a Zebulunite, was the eleventh Judge of Israel. He judged Israel for ten years, died and was buried in Elon in the land of Zubulun. (Judges 12:11-12).
12. Abdon was the twelfth Judge of Israel (Judges 12:13-15)
13. Samson was one of the Judges of Israel. He Judged Israel for 20 years. He was one of the major biblical characters in the Old Testanment. The name Samson means “Little Sun.” The story of Samson is found in the Book of Judges, chapters 13-16.
14. Eli the High Priest, in the line of Ithamar. He was also Judge of Israel, at Shiloh, for 40 years. Eli died at 98-years old, but his descendants continued in the office of High Priest up until the time of Solomon. At that time, Abiathar, who had supported Adonijah’s bid for the throne, was replaced by Zadok, thus bringing an end to Eli’s line (1 Kings 2:22, 35).
15. Samuel was a prophet and the last of Israel’s Judges. He grew up under Eli, who was the priest at Shiloh. He served as a prophet, a judge and a military leader of Israel. He was widely recognized throughout the country (1 Samuel 3:20). His home was in Ramah, were he headed groups of prophets. Samuel was the son of Elkanah, and his wife Hannah. You can find his story in the book of first Samuel, chapters 1-25.