Christians across the world have been asked to pray around the clock to save the life of a Christian woman imprisoned for her faith.
Asia Bibi was arrested in 2009 after an argument with her Muslim co-workers who refused to drink from the same water bowl her. They claimed it was contaminated because she’s a Christian.
When Bibi defended her faith, the workers accused her of insulting the Islamic prophet Mohmmed. She was soon arrested on blasphemy charges and sentenced to death by a local judge.
Since then lawyers and human rights activists have been working around the clock to appeal the case and give her a second chance at life.
Pakistan’s Supreme Court will hear her final appeal on Oct. 13 to decide whether she lives or dies.
Christian Solidarity Worldwide (CSW) is asking Christians around the world to join in a 24/7 prayer marathon the week of her appeal.
CSW is asking them to pray for the following:
- That Asia would be acquitted.
- For her strength and restoration during and after the hearing.
- For wisdom and protection for Saiful Malook, her lawyer; and for the judges hearing her case.
- For the wider Christian community who may face a backlash whatever the outcome of the appeal.
- For an outpouring of the Holy Spirit in Pakistan, to maintain calm in the country.
- For justice for others accused of blasphemy, and that the government would urgently amend the blasphemy laws.