Angus Buchan is a Christian author and charismatic revival evangelist based in Greytown, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. A farmer and Christian Evangelist, Buchan is subject of the award-winning big-
Born August 5, 1947 in Bulawayo, Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). Angus, the son of white immigrants from Scotland, farmed maize and cattle in Zambia until 1976 when he moved to Greytown, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. His wife, Jill, explained their decision to leave Zambia in a 2009 video: “We always agreed that when we had children we’d bring them up ourselves and not send them away. That’s actually why we left Zambia. We didn’t want to put them on a plane and send them far from home”.
In 1980, Angus Buchan and his wife Jill Buchan started Shalom Ministries to preach in his South African local community. Its main purpose later became to go out to preach around Africa. In time, he became a full-time evangelist and so handed over to his sons the day-to-day running of his farm business.
In 1998, he wrote a book about his life, Faith Like Potatoes, which was turned into a film in 2006, with the same title.
Angus Buchan’s Ordinary People was a 2012 semi-biographical film about the growth of his ministry since the 1970s and how three fictional characters who attend one of his conferences then have their lives changed.
Pastor Angus Buchan Has This To Say About His Life And Ministry
Jill and I found Jesus as our personal Lord and Saviour on the 18th of February 1979, just two years after settling in Greytown, Kwa-Zulu Natal Midlands, South Africa, he said. Originally from Zambia, we bought a piece of land on which we planned to farm crops and livestock. We had very little to start with but even as brand new Christians, we were content with our farm, which we later called SHALOM.
A CLEAR VISION
In 1980, the Lord gave us a vision – very simply and clearly, through His Word, since then we haven’t turned back, and our Lord has remained faithful.
We believed our responsibility to be the following:
- The Great Commission – Mark 16:15
- Caring for Orphans and Widows – James 1:27
- Equipping Saints for the Work of Ministry – Matthew 28:20
Everything undertaken at Shalom embraces this threefold vision and Shalom has become home to a community of families and believers who live and work as a team, Angus said.
In November 1989, the Buchans felt the Lord asking them to hire town halls and preach the Gospel, wherever He would lead. In 1990, they held the first campaign in Ladysmith, Kwa-Zulu Natal.
Angus says he remember the feeling of pure excitement and anxiety as I walked into the municipal office to hire the town hall. Since then, we haven’t turned back, and our Lord has remained faithful.
What Pastor Angus Buchan Believes
Pastor Angus Buchan Believes the following:
- The Bible to be the inspired, the infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- In the Eternal Triune God.
- In the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- That for the salvation of the lost and sinful man, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- In the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by Whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- In the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto resurrection of life, and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- In the creation, test and fall of man, as recorded in Genesis; his total spiritual depravity and inability to attain to divine righteousness apart from God.
- In the Lord Jesus Christ, the Saviour of men, conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, very God and very Man.
- In the Spiritual Unity of Believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
List Of Books And Publications By Evangelist Angus Buchan
- Faith Like Potatoes: The story of a farmer who risked everything for God
- The Booth (eBook): Finding quiet time in the presence of God. Christian Art Publishers.
- The Seed Sower
- Jesus… a Farmer… and Miracles
- Is Jesus Enough?
- Hard-Core Christianity
- Passing the Baton
- A Farmer’s Year: Daily truth to change your life
- A Mustard Seed
- Fathers and Sons
- A People Saturated with God
- Come of Age: The Road to Spiritual Maturity